At TASC, our SLASS (Seniors Legal and Support Service) program is fortunate to include the services of a social worker and a social services officer. These staff members provide advice, information, referrals, assessments and casework to seniors who are at risk of elder abuse or financial exploitation, to enhance their security, safety and well-being. One of the benefits that come from having a social worker on the team is the membership with the Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW).
The Australian Association of Social Workers (AASW) http://www.aasw.asn.au/ is the professional representative body of Social Workers in Australia, with more than 7,000 members nation-wide. As stated on the AASW website, the association’s mission involves
“…ensuring the sustainable development of the profession, the maintenance of accountability and compliance with the benchmark standards, and the promotion of professional identity. Membership offers Social Workers the opportunity to work collectively to contribute to Australian Society, its communities and institutions, in a way that is dedicated to improving social inclusion and social well-being.”
With membership of the AASW, our social worker is able to participate in and contribute to the AASW’s (and the profession of social work’s) objectives, which include:
- Establishing, monitoring and improving practice and ethical standards
- Contributing to the development of social work knowledge and research
- Advocating for the pursuit of social justice and changes to social structures and policies in order to promote social inclusion and redress social disadvantage
Some of the many benefits of being a member include:
- access to several professional journal publications at no additional cost
- access to other relevant social work publications, professional support (e.g., for ethical concerns)
- professional development opportunities
- network and community building (e.g. branch events, practice groups)
- advocacy and representation.
Access to this network of knowledge, education and experience that is able to be communicated, shared and promoted across the entire TASC organisation is immensely valuable to both our staff and most importantly our clients.